Stuarts Draft Volunteer Fire Co.


  • Have a professional electrician check for faulty wiring, especially if you're moving into an older home. Be certain your wiring is professional and can handle today's sophisticated electircal needs.

  • Never use an electric appliance for anything other than its intended use. Hair dryers are not meant to dry clothing, and ovens are not intended to heat your home.

  • Unplug all counter-top appliances when not in use, including toasters, space heaters, coffee makers, and irons. When plugged into an electrical outlet all appliances still have dangerous electrical voltages inside of them - even when they're turned off.

  • Keep appliances and their cords away from water. If an apliance falls into the water, don't retrieve it until you've unplugged the appliance. Don't use the product again until your've had it inspected and repaired by a qualified technician. Water conducts electricity, so water-damaged products can give you a lethal electric shock.

  • Replace light bulbs with bulbs of equal or lower wattage than that recommended by the manufacturer. Using bulbs of higher than recommended watage can cause the lamp or fixture to overheat and start a fire.